Ingredient Spotlight: LBiome
With more consumers understanding the connection between a healthy gut and the immune system, the probiotic market has seen huge growth. In 2021, however, the supplement industry will see a new type of “biotic” gain momentum: postbiotics. Considered a “promising alternative to live probiotic microbes,” postbiotics play a beneficial role in gut health and digestion. As consumers become aware of the benefits of postbiotics, supplement business owners should create supplements that incorporate them, such as LBiome (Lactobacillus LB), to stand out in a saturated market.
What is LBiome?
Working as a human strain-derived, heat-stabilized postbiotic, LBiome has been utilized for digestive support for years. Because it is a postbiotic, by definition inanimate cells (and/or their components) that provide a health benefit to the host, there are no living organisms present. Although postbiotics are less universally known compared to probiotics and prebiotics, postbiotics play a greatly significant role in digestion and gut health.
In research comparing numerous live Lactobacilli strains, LBiome demonstrated some of the highest adhesion ability, adhering 1.7x better than the leading live Lactobacillus on the market. The cells of LBiome attach to your gut lining, which creates a biofilm that yields an enriched environment for the gut microbiome to thrive. This postbiotic also fortifies the gut lining by maintaining healthy brush borders and tight junctions. This allows for speedy outcomes when soothing lower gastrointestinal issues.*
The Benefits of LBiome
LBiome produces much of the digestive assets of a probiotic. Its heat-stabilized cells and metabolites allow for quick and effective gut health benefits, whilst maintaining its adhesion property. Some benefits include:
- Calms digestive upset*
- Supports bowel regularity*
- Lessens occasional bloating and abdominal pain*
- Encourages a healthy gut barrier and gut immunity*
- Stimulates a healthy bacterial balance in the digestive system*
- Helps support gut health and immunity*
- Safe and effective for the whole family*
Formulating with LBiome
LBiome is standardized to carry 60 billion cells per gram and proven to triumph over the stability and formulation obstacles that come with most probiotics. With this in mind, we have put together a list of key things you need to know when working with LBiome:
- LBiome is stable, safe, and self-affirmed Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS).
- The proprietary ECHO heat-stabilization process used to create LBiome reaches 110⁰C/230⁰F.
- LBiome has been successfully incorporated into capsules, emulsions, liquids, chews, and dissolvable powders.
- There is no CFU testing required.
- LBiome has a 2-year shelf life, stored at room temperature.
- Keep in mind that there is lactose present during fermentation and lactose is used as a carrier.
Supplement brands looking to break into the gut health space should start creating supplements that incorporate postbiotics like LBiome. Offering a myriad of benefits, LBiome provides a safe and effective way for consumers to improve gut health and digestion. It is a versatile ingredient, making it an attractive addition to all supplements.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.