The Non-GMO supplement market is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the natural products industry due to consumers’ increased interest in sustainability, clean label, and transparency. Currently valued at $947 million with a projected CAGR of 16.5%, the demand for Non-GMOs is continuing to gain momentum over the next few years.
Non-GMO is any product that is manufactured without genetic engineering and does not contain any GMO ingredients. As consumers become more aware of the benefits of Non-GMO products, supplement business owners should start creating supplements that are Non-GMO Project Verified to stand out in a saturated market. To help you navigate the Non-GMO landscape, we have put together a guide on how to become Non-GMO Project Verified with your supplement brand.
What is Non-GMO Project Verified?
The Non-GMO Project Product Verification Program is North America’s most rigorous third-party verification for Non-GMO products. Having been in the industry for more than 10 years, the Non-GMO Project is an esteemed industry leader and has set the standard for Non-GMO verifications in the industry. Their mission is to educate and empower consumers and brands to care more for the planet, the people, and future generations. Becoming Non-GMO Project Verified allows suppliers, brands, and retailers to reveal their dedication to giving consumers transparent options in the marketplace.
According to market research, more than 70% of Americans do not want any GMOs in the products they buy and more than 80% of consumers actively look for the Non-GMO Project Verified symbol on products before their purchase decision. With Non-GMO Project Verified products generating more than $23.3 billion annually, it is safe to say that any brand should consider developing Non-GMO dietary supplements.
How To Become Non-GMO Project Verified
For supplements to be Non-GMO, enzymes, probiotics, and vitamins must meet all the standards set forth by the Non-GMO Project. This verification requires brands to work with a Technical Administrator to evaluate each product to make sure that they comply. The process to become Non-GMO Verified can take anywhere from three to six months.
Although becoming Non-GMO Project Verified may seem complex, it doesn’t have to be. Here are 6 simple steps on how to get Non-GMO Project Verified:
- Choose a Technical Administrator (TA): Deep dive into some online resources to learn more about the Non-GMO Project Verification Program and select one of their independent technical administrators for your product evaluation. Make sure to choose a partner who can best meet your business needs.
- Sign a Contract Agreement with the Chosen TA: After you have selected your technical administrator, a contract agreement must be signed by both parties and returned to the administrator.
- Sign a Non-GMO Project License Agreement: This agreement will lay out the framework of your involvement in the Program and the use of the Non-GMO Project’s trademarks. This signed agreement must be directly given back to the Non-GMO Project.
- Start Your Product Evaluation: Assemble the proper documentation needed for your product evaluation. These documents include invoices, proofs of purchase, SOPs, and COAs. On-site inspections may be requested. Keep in mind that if your product contains animal byproducts, testing is required to determine the absence of GMO risk.
- Receive Your Verification: When the TA completes your product evaluation, they will provide you with a Certificate of Verification (COV) and the Non-GMO Project Verified trademark to be utilized on your products and marketing materials.
- Partake in Annual Renewals: Every year, your chosen TA will review and evaluate your product. Once re-approved, they will provide you with an updated COV.
Benefits of Non-GMO Project Verified Certification
As mentioned earlier, consumers are becoming more attentive to what exactly is in their supplements. Similar to clean label, consumers want to know that each product and ingredient they are ingesting is safe and does not contain artificial or genetically modified ingredients. The strict array of guidelines of this certification makes certain that manufacturers are avoiding GMOs in all facets of production.
With this in mind, here are some benefits to getting Non-GMO Project Verified:
- Complies with Clean Label,
- Expresses dedication to manufacturing more sustainable supplements,
- Differentiates your brand from others in the industry,
- Increases market share and sales, and
- Adds to consumer confidence that your product is safe to consume.
In today’s landscape, the demand for Non-GMO products and supplements is on the up and up. Supplement business owners who want to stay relevant and ahead of the competition should consider getting their product(s) Non-GMO Project Verified. Supplement brands that are successfully able to get Non-GMO Project Verified will be able to capitalize on the expanding Non-GMO market share. For more information on how to get Non-GMO Project Verified, contact Paragon Laboratories.