Did you know almost 1 in 10 supplements is contaminated with ingredients or compounds prohibited in sports? This research has discovered that some dietary supplement products contain low levels of substances prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and other sporting organizations.
The Prohibited List contains three categories of restricted substances and is considered one of the foundations of the World Anti-Doping Code. It is reviewed annually through an extensive consultation process facilitated by WADA. The three categories of prohibited substances include:
- Prohibited at All Times
- Prohibited In-Competition
- Prohibited in Particular Sports
Sources of Contaminated Products
- Cross-contamination usually occurs due to inadequate cleaning procedures. In manufacturing, a variety of different products can be produced within the same facility, causing some products to pick up ingredients from previous production runs.
- Poor quality sourcing for raw materials could unknowingly lead to contamination because of varying quality control regulations among different areas around the world. These imported raw ingredients may arrive contaminated, affecting the full production.
Many athletes have had their careers end early from not realizing they were using products containing prohibited substances. To ensure the safety and integrity of all athletes from inadvertent doping, Paragon Laboratories has continued its mission of providing the highest quality dietary supplements by receiving the Informed-Sport Certification.
Established by one of the world’s leading sports doping control laboratories, LGC (previously HFL Sport Science), the Informed-Sport certification program assures athletes, coaches, dieticians, and other athletic personnel that products carrying the Informed-Sport logo have been tested for prohibited substances and meet its high-quality standards. The certification program is for reputable supplement companies who seek to display the Informed-Sport logo on their finished certified products and assure athletes are protected from restricted substances.
Working closely with supplement manufacturers and suppliers, the Informed-Sport certification program comprises:
- Product testing with ISO17025 accredited methods
- Thorough manufacturing quality control and product labeling audits
- Pre-registration testing of products before program entry
- Regular testing to maintain certification
With over two decades of analysis from tens of thousands of supplement and raw material samples, LGC has proven that the risk of using regularly tested products is better than products that undergo no testing. There are currently 225 certified brands, totaling over 1,000 products globally.
For more assistance with your performance supplements business, Paragon’s Informed-Sport certification ensures your athletic customers will be protected from prohibited substances when using your product. Learn more about our other certifications here.